Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Futureworld

Futureworld was actually my first dress to get a name, before they all got in on the action.



I bought it when I was a college student, and when I wore it back at the dorms, my friend Patrick named it. "It looks just like Futureworld!" he said, brandishing a copy of Trans Am's 1999 post-rock album.


(Okay, he didn't need to brandish it, as I was convinced that I liked post-rock at the time, though I would have been hard-pressed to define the term. I still have a copy of the CD in my CD shelf, which I realize is a horribly uncool thing to have and marks me as teetering on the brink of middle age.)


In some ways, it is a comfort to know that my clothes are still older than I am.


You can have Futureworld (the dress) when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers, by the way. It has tried to die on me several times, but I got the zipper replaced and washed it in OxiClean.


The sweetheart navy piping is getting a little threadbare, and I am seriously considering coloring it in with a blue Sharpie.


It seems like there is an obvious reason why you shouldn't color in your clothes with markers, but for the life of me, I can't think of any. As long as you have a steady hand, what's the problem?


Seriously, how could I let Futureworld go? Besides being post-rocky, relaxed, polyester and green...


...the combo of the square neckline and sweetheart piping really floats my boat.


Plus, that fabric is border print! Which fancies everything up.


You've got to sew the piece just so with a border print, and while Futureworld doesn't get it exactly perfect, I'll let it go because no one but me has ever noticed, or if they have, they've been polite enough not to mention it.


I was going to do a whole post about matching my dresses to different album covers, like the very cool blog that matches bathing suits to book covers. But... I didn't, and I didn't, and then I looked at a whole bunch of album covers and none of them really reminded me of my dresses, and then I looked at my dresses and none of them really reminded me of album covers, so now I just have a big pile of CDs stacked up out of order in my CD shelf.


And Futureworld! I should probably go give that CD another spin...

All photos by Claire Loeb!

2 comments:

  1. What, I'm 26 and I still have a container full of CDS around somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered you an AARP membership. They make exceptions for people who own CDs.

      Delete