Saturday, September 8, 2012

Goldenromp

I knew it would happen: I've started dreaming about Dressopotamia.


If you don't like hearing about other people's dreams, read no further.

Okay, I'm glad they're gone, aren't you? So: I was at the taping of Madonna's "Open Your Heart" video, except she wasn't in it. I was talking to the nameless dancer who was the real star of the video when I realized — she was wearing Goldenromp's lucky twin!


Hey twinnie!


I asked her if I could take pictures of her wearing it for this very blog, she was cool with it, but then to my dismay, as I got closer, her outfit wasn't like Goldenromp at all. It was actually made out of a heavy red and green brocade.


But I took some pictures of her just to be polite.

The most notable thing about Goldenromp is that it actually violates the first rule of Dressopotamia, which is: dresses only.


Sure, Goldenromp is dresslike, but look a little closer...


Front and back flaps camouflage Goldenromp's essential nature: it is a romper. But I can't bring myself to exclude it from the blog. For one thing, the print is just too adorable.


For another, I bought it at a cute little shop in Brattleboro called Boomerang many years ago, and it is a happy memory. I went with my sister, the owners were lovely, we talked a little vintage, I bought a little schmatte, you know how it goes when you meet a kindred spirit. People in Brattleboro don't dress up as competitively as New Yorkers do, and I think the owners of Boomerang enjoyed seeing someone a little impractically dressed. Goldenromp offers many benefits, but protection against deer ticks is not one of them.


Third reason: picnics and any other activities where I might have to sit on the ground unexpectedly.


As I've said before, I can't picnic in Picnic.

Fourth and last reason: when I was in Buenos Aires, my building's elevator was completely mirrored, which sounds like a total nightmare, maintenance-wise, but had its charms.

Archive photos

The main charm being the funhouse effect of all those mirrors. I couldn't help but wave, just to see who would wave back, and from where. After much doctoring, one of those pics eventually led to the events in Bridethrilla, so you see, too much sentimental value has accumulated in this one garment to split hairs about whether it belongs here or not. (Dreamatorium, however, another cute non-dress outfit, probably won't make the cut. Sorry, Dreamy!)


All photos by Claire Loeb! Except the ones that clearly aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment