Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Picnic

I love a good print, obviously, but sometimes a solid color hits the spot.

If that color is green.




Why do I love green so much? It started subconsciously: I flitted about for years, picking up anything that caught my eye, then looked in my closet one day and noticed a preponderance of the grassy stuff. Why is green so much better than red?


I've read that the relationship between your unconscious desires and your conscious mind is like that between a tiger and a monkey riding on its back. The tiger does what it wants, and the monkey thinks he's in control.


I think a real monkey would be scared shitless to be in the same room as a tiger, but taken as metaphor, the image gets at something. Some deep-seated part of my brain wants to wear green. Some reptilian part — maybe that's why! I am unconsciously acting out the urges of a brain stem that misses scales.


Well, there are worse dresses than Picnic to wear while acting out reptilian urges, that is for damn sure.  The fit is divine, and I love the atypical low, square neckline.


The back is interesting, too.


Those straps button to the inside of the bodice.


It's a clever little setup.


Do I picnic in Picnic? No. It feels a little fancy to be mud-adjacent. But the simple, elegant design reminds me of the simple pleasures of dining al fresco.


You bring the cheese, I'll bring the wine...



All photos by Claire Loeb!

1 comment:

  1. That square neckline is fantastic. If it's due to your lizard brain, let it keep doing what it's doing!

    ReplyDelete