Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Opal

Opal is my favorite gemstone, even though (or maybe because) it is the only gem to be considered a bad luck charm.


My opal bracelet doesn't photograph well, but trust me, it's lovely.





I used to think the same thing about Opal, but I'm no longer entirely sure, and it's bumming me out.


First, the good. Zipper + collar = fun, always, especially zipper + collar + shiny New Jersey necklace.


Also, it's lined, which you can't see here, but to me says, "This is a well-made garment!"


The print is a shoutout to one of my pitifully underexplored enthusiasms: paisley. But it's subtle. To be totally honest, I didn't even realize that it was paisley until I scanned it. I've worn Opal dozens of times, but it just doesn't hit you over the head with paisle.



By the way, I recently came across some lovely paisley wallpaper in my great-aunt's bathroom. The paisles are enormous! If I'm ever in a position to dictate the wallpaper in my salle de bain — or any chambre — it heartens me to know that paisley wallpaper exists. I might turn the color up a few notches from my great-aunt's tasteful décor, though.


So, what's the problem? I think... I think it's just a little too big. It looked really good when I first bought it, but it's somehow stretched out since then. (The alternative is... unlikely.)


I like having a dress to match my opal bracelet...


but unless I put on a few pounds, I think Opal will continue to look a little baggy on me.


Should I just roll with it?


All photos by Claire Loeb!

1 comment:

  1. Roll with it. It's lovely... and check out The Cult's videos for Rain and Revolution. Old Ian was in pure Haight-Ashbury Paisley Prince mode in 85/6.

    Also, very surprised you missed Pompey - especially after reading one your other dress posts discussing Leda's twinsies. Far more obscurio than Caesar's triumvirate foes. And General Sherman! Man, at least I got two... I was feeling deflated after missing so many you were killing ;)

    I have a Pinterest page you might enjoy, should you ever bumble back to your ancient blogs and find this reply. I'll bait you with the promise of Pucci...
    https://www.pinterest.com/zodvonkarma/mid-century-mod-space-age-space-oddities-fashion/

    Au Revoir, Simo... Elise. Remember, thay'rs no bayys-ement in the Ayl-lamo!

    ReplyDelete