Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hearts on Fire

I know volcanoes are a huge deal, but when I see them erupting on camera, they don't look very threatening.



I remember one documentary in particular that showed a guy doing an audio recording of the happenings, and he was just walking along the lava flow, holding a boom mike out at waist level.


I might not be remembering this right, but I think it sounded like Rice Krispies.


Further bolstering my deluded notion that volcanoes aren't that dangerous. But the lava seems to flow sooo slowly...


It seems like it would be easy enough to outrun.


I don't want to victim-blame the people of Pompeii, though. There are probably fumes that knock you out or something.

Another thing I like about volcanoes is that they are not connected to catastrophic climate change.


I feel like all other natural disasters (except earthquakes) are just our own damn fault.


Hurricanes, droughts, floods, wildfires, landslides, heat waves, blizzards — if we're not causing them, we are somehow exacerbating them. But volcanoes are like the honey badgers of the natural disaster world. 




On a lighter note, doesn't this print remind you of adorable spurting lava?


Like how it's all brown and crusty on top, and then little cracks show you the seriously hot shit just underneath the surface?


But in a cute way.


All photos by Claire Loeb!

No comments:

Post a Comment