Friday, July 6, 2012

Lilac Baby

I can't remember exactly when and how Lilac Baby came into my life.


It was probably in Argentina? (In case you haven't picked up on this yet, my time in Buenos Aires included a lot of vintage buying sprees.) There's a lot to like about it, and a lot that is frankly a little meh.




The color is of course adorable. Why don't I wear more lilac clothes? I'm actually a little surprised that I bought this one — I usually avoid solid colors, as life is unpredictable and messy food seems to have a little vendetta against me.

The pattern is not very inspiring, so I didn't bother to scan it. But I do like that there is a little contrast going on.


It makes details like the tie in the back really stand out.

The cut is flattering...


... but a little odd, let's face it. I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it the unnecessary cap sleeves? The high neckline? Usually I like a high neckline, but I can't help but feel that Lilac Baby would be better served with something else up there. Is it the expanse of pattern at the top? It gives me an itch in my frontal lobe, like the kind of itch we used to get when we had to remember things instead of Google them.


Remember remembering things?

The other major problem with Lilac Baby is one I almost never have to deal with.


Wrinkles. I don't know if it's the magical wrinkle-preventing properties of polyester, or the magical wrinkle-camouflaging properties of psychedelic prints (see above re: spiteful food), but I almost never have to deal with wrinkles, and am therefore basically unwilling to ever iron anything. Also, wrinkled pleats? I can't deal.


I could just curtsey all the time, bunching up the wrinkled bits in my hand (which certainly wouldn't be good for the wrinkles, but it would hide them).


But there is a limit to how often you can curtsey.

Thoughts?


All photos by Claire Loeb!

No comments:

Post a Comment