Thursday, June 28, 2012

Filthy Martini

When I bought Filthy Martini, it was a huge shapeless dress with long sleeves and cuffs. Now it looks like this:


It's a pretty good argument for getting things tailored when you need to. Filthy Martini cost $12 in (probably?) 2002, it probably cost about $30 to get it tailored, and I've worn it about a billion times since then (one hundred million times a year), so the amortization on that works out to $0.000000042 per wear. Definitely worth it.


I knew Filthy Martini was a winner from the moment I saw the print:



The year have taken their toll, of course. See the two buttons next to my hands here?


There used to be two more buttons right above them. It was a nice little detail, but they fell off when I was carrying a big cardboard box one day.


The moral of the story is that buttons might seem like they would provide welcome leverage, but it's probably a bad idea. Just change into the dress that you have for moving boxes.

There's an extra button.


But just one. I should have saved the buttons from the cuffs! That just occurred to me now. Maybe once the other two fall off, I will just get a whole new set of buttons and sew them on.

Filthy Martini reminds me of the Dorothy Parker poem on the subject.


I like to have a martini (that's an imaginary martini glass I'm holding)


Two at the very most


After three, I'm under the table


 After four, I'm under my host.

This is a G-rated blog, people! No hosts here.


Another Dorothy Parker gem:

Men seldom make passes
At girls who wear glasses.



Hmm.

And this has been your culture for the day.


All photos by Claire Loeb!


2 comments:

  1. I am not a very articulate commenter, but I had to swing by and say how much I love this post-- both the dress and the Dorothy Parker!

    ReplyDelete