Thursday, June 14, 2012

Raspberry Ripple

Sometimes a dress is really just a dress.




I have a few dresses like Raspberry Ripple: printed sheaths in bright colors that are a little extraordinary in their ordinariness. They weren't designed to turn heads, or for a night on the town. They were meant to populate the wardrobes of women who say to themselves, "Something simple today... I know, I'll wear something that looks like orange, pink, yellow, fuchsia and white candles dripped all over it..."


You know, someone like me.


I picked up Raspberry Ripple last summer at Another Man's Treasure, along with three other dresses that I feel more passionately about (more on them later). This happens to me sometimes... I wander into a shop with lots of cute options and come to a day later in a pile of polyester, empty pints of Ben & Jerry's and a bottle that used to contain middle-shelf Scotch. Once you open the floodgates, it's hard to step back and check in with your id, and even if you did, your id probably wouldn't be that helpful. 


"Hey id, do you really want all this stuff?" "Yep."

That necklace of gold beads came from an unlikely source: the grandmother of the husband of a woman whose dog made friends with my mom passed away, and they thought I might like her costume jewelry. Sure, why not?


The other necklace is from a cute little company called Brookadelphia. Judging from their Facebook page, it's hard to tell if they're still around. If not, that's a damn shame—they sell pendants in the shape of every state! My one regret is that I didn't special order a necklace with the little star over Jersey City. Trenton has such a chip on its shoulder, you know?



No comments:

Post a Comment